How long can digital bodies last.......even the good ones?

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,096Gear list
Like?
Thx from OP
In reply to Rod McD, Jun 15, 2013

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who responded.  It seems we've a few different experiences.  The DSLRs seem to have lasted quite well by all accounts.  At least up to a decade or so.  I've had six digital cameras - two DSLRs and four compacts.  The DSLRs are still going, the oldest being seven years.  My first two compacts 'died' from component failure at around five years old.  My G12 and G1X are more recent and are still going.

When looking beyond cameras, the performance seems to be worse - mp3s, ipods, phones, laptops, gaming equipment and stereo equipment just haven't held up in my experience.

I agree with the observation that in recent times cameras have been overtaken by technical improvement long before they died due to component failure.  That was not in doubt, but it wasn't the point I was exploring.  In the coming years that may also change - the rate of improvement seems to be incremental and finally we seem to be gaining some stability, at least in the DSLR world.

I really got onto the whole question wondering whether cameras like Leica and other premium marques would last long enough to generate the reputation their film ancestors gained.  I guess we've yet to find out.......

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow