RX1 vs. Canon 5D iii

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,306Gear list
Like?
24-70 II is the best zoom lens I have ever used.
In reply to halfmonkey, Jun 15, 2013

And beats many primes (and I've owned some good primes). I'm waiting for Sony to release this cam with a 3x zoom 28, 35 50 maybe and lower the price. Ten, I'll buy it as an addition to my DSLRs.

halfmonkey wrote:

I'm in the market to finally upgrade to full frame and I've narrowed down my choices to either the Sony RX1 or the Canon 5D iii. I know these two cameras are in completely different categories and that's what making the decision so difficult. I guess I wasn't really even considering the RX1 at first because of the fixed 35mm. It was the quality of the pictures and the size that drew me in. If I buy the 5D iii, I'd purchase the 24-70 ii lens with it to start off.

So I know that deciding which camera to pick will ultimately fall to my style of shooting but I'd like to ask for your guys' opinion or suggestions on things to consider when deciding between the two cameras.

I would probably say that my primary focus at this point is taking pictures of my little kids. They're 5.5, 4, and 6 months. I guess one of the main things holding me back on the RX1 is the fixed 35mm lens. I know it's generally considered a walkaround lens, maybe a little on the wide side but non-the-less, a usable walk around lens.

I've compiled my list of pros and cons for each. Please feel free to give feedback to suggest things to consider for each.

RX1...

pros:

1. small - I guess the first rule of taking a great picture is to have the camera with you in the first place.

2. cheaper than the 5D iii

cons:

1. fixed 35mm lens; non-changable - not necessarily the best for shots of kids

2. accessories are extremely expensive

5Diii...

pros:

1. interchangable lens - allwos for flexibility

cons:

1. heavy and large - there not as portable as I'd like. Can't just throw in a bag or wife's purse or pocket

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow