Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,164
Like?
Re: Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.
In reply to LaszloBencze, Jun 15, 2013

LaszloBencze wrote:

I currently have a show of 38 20" x 30" prints appearing at the Viewpoint Photographic Art Center in Sacramento. Most of the pictures were taken with either a 5D MKII or 5D MKIII. However, some of them come from the Canon 1D MKII and 1DMIII which are not full frame and have about half the number of pixels of the 5D cameras (8 & 10 megapixels vs over 20 for the 5Ds).

What I noticed is that I could not tell which pictures were taken with the lower pixel count 1D cameras. They do not stand out as obviously inferior. In fact all the pictures look good and are indistinguishable in terms of sharpness or resolution.

Now I'm sure that there are benefits of the 20 megapixel cameras. And I do own two of them. But my point is that real life photo situations with large areas of bland texture or out of focus areas do not reveal such differences. This is a bit of a surprise for me but a reassuring one.

If you happen to live in the Sacramento area, you're welcome to look for yourself. The gallery is at 2015 J street and is well identified with signage.

without posting any examples of your preposterous proposition I can only conclude this is a sneaky way of promoting you exhibition.

In the realm of art less detail is often desirable. The vast majority of painters employ styles that minimize or blur detail to capture the essence of the subject. There aren't that many surrealists who paint photographically.

However when generalizing about photography it always is advantageous to capture more pixels if the signal to noise ratio is maintained. The trend for more megapixels has unfortunately resulted in compact cameras with 24mps and far too much noise to be practicle for fixing in PP.

-still waiting for the single shot single lens gigapixel dream camera.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
auntNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow