The 14mm or Not the 14mm - that's the question..X-pro1.

Started Jun 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lakeview Man
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
The 14mm or Not the 14mm - that's the question..X-pro1.
Jun 15, 2013

Guess there's been a lot of threads about this, but I still can't make up my mind. I enjoy shooting with my X-pro1, but I mostly used it for street photography using the execellent 35mm f/1.4. But some weeks ago I got the X100s and now that's my favorite on the street.

I have a Canon 7D with a nice lens setup for anything that's even thinking about moving fast... so. I got that covered, sports, birds, planes - whatever. Also, I have a wide angle zoom lens for that one which I have used for more landscape work.

Since I got street photography covered with my X100s, and everything else with my Canon 7D, lately I have been thinking about selling my X-pro1 and 18mm-35mm lens. But I really LOVE the feel of X-pro1 in my hands... sometimes, with nothing else to do, I just sit in my couch in front of the TV with the X-pro1 in my hands, just holding it, like... my little precious....... ok, snap! Sorry.

Ehhmmm....Anyway, tomorrow I'm going on a 4 week holiday to Thailand. Been there many times... with my Canon 7D. This time I'm for sure taking my X100s for street shots, snap shots of family and friends. But I'm thinking.. maybe I should leave my big Canon 7D home, and take my X-pro1 instead. But then I'll need something wider than my 35mm and 18mm I already have.

I know, I know... it's not the equipment that makes good pictures. Not all by istself anyway. But quite often when shooting landscapes with my Canon 7D and 10-24mm wide angle zoom, I end up in the wide end - from 10 to 12-13mm when shooting. With a crop factor of 1.6 on the Canon, and crop facto of 1.5 on the Fuji, the 14mm is not that far away from 12-13mm.

The 14mm Fuji is expensive. I can drink a hell of a lot beer for that amount in Thailand... Even pay for my hotel stay too. Actually, the 14mm will cost me more than my airplane ticket cost me flying non-stop from Oslo to Bangkok. Buy it cheaper in Bangkok you say? Well, maybe I get it cheaper if they have it... But, I'd also like Norwegian warranty. And still, last time I was there, looking for canon lenses, it was not all that cheaper anyway. The guy in the camera shop in the big mall i bangkok actually said "Mistel, You want cheaper - you go Singapore!".

So.. what do I do.. If I buy the 14mm for landscape and architecture, that means one less type of work for my Canon set up. It means I'm not selling my X-pro1, it means I'm even more committed into Fuji, that means... maybe selling my Canon 7D at some point.. hell - when was the last time I took a picture of a bird in flight? Nah... two years ago.

What do you guys think about this setup for 4 weeks in Thailand, in Lopburi area (the monkey city), Hua Hin and Krabi:

Fuji X100s + Fuji X-pro1 with 35mm f/1.4 and 14mm f/2.8 (leaving my 18mm home. Less gear, between the 14mm and 23mm X100s I can foot zoom... ) And less beer because I'll need to buy the 14mm today. (leaving tomorrow)

Or:

Fuji x100s + Canon 7D with EF-S 10-24mm. (I'm *not* bringing my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II lens, it's fricking too heavy for me on a holiday trip). And more beer since I already have this equipment - but heavier...

Oh, man, I just can't decide...

-- hide signature --
 Lakeview Man's gear list:Lakeview Man's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +10 more
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow