History & Future of the dSLR

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,372
Like?
You don't get it..
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, 10 months ago

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

I'm not going to go all the way back to the Foot-Long and larger batteries from the then industry-leading Kodak digital cameras.  The 1Ds in particular was an $8,000 engineering marvel of its time. Today, you can get one off Ebay for $400.

So, it can still take good pictures.

At that time, I suggested that the advances in camera technology would surpass everyone's imagination. I was scoffed at by so-called and most-likely self-proclaimed people of intelligence and experience. But fast-forward to today's camera systems and all that incredible leaps and bounds we have made from mirrorless to LCD to DR to ISO to MP and it's nothing short of miraculous.

But for all that technology, what do you gain? Where/have reached a point of diminishing returnes.

Mark my words. Today's D4 is going to be just like that 1Ds and have a value of 1/20th of it's current price. Because just like the Canon 1Ds, technology will evolve beyond anyone's cute but woefully inadequate comprehension of physics. The naysayers will have you believe that because of the laws of physics (btw almost none of them even have a friend who has a degree in physics let alone themselves and they are just mimicking what they hear on the internet), but because of physics they will say that we are at the end or near the end of our MP, ISO, DR capabilities.

In about a decade, technology will prove these people wrong... again.

Because last decade, that's what all the "pros" in forums were saying about the 1Ds Camera. It was the pinnacle of success! A camera so powerful, with images so clean, it could not be beaten. But it's been so completely and utterly beaten that you can buy one for $400 if you really want an inferior piece of trash compared to what's available today.

You see, if you were about photography, you wouldn't say this, you could get great images from an old 1d

. Others will get it. But here's the reality that we face as consumers and users of one of the fastest evolving technologies: That as camera users, our output is becoming obsolete.
I'm beginning to believe that photography is less about the actual photograph and more about the equipment than ever before, and that this will not change anytime soon.

That is why you are a gear head, you don't care about photography only technology, problem is technology will not help you create a better composed image or choose the best light, choose the best subject or tell a story.

You are a gear head, plain and simple. What you don't get is there are people still using film that take better pictures than you and I.

I still use my D70, I back pack it around because it is small and if it gets damaged (I have fallen on my back with the backpack on and crushed it and it still works) I don't get upset. I use it for auto flash at 1/500 shutter sync because it has an electronic shutter. It works great in green auto mode and I lend it to friends

I still use my D200 because there has not been anything up until the D800 that is a big enough step forward to consider upgrading and because of the cost, I am still waiting for the next generation.
Yes it is noisy but still usable for display at ISO 1600

Can a D800 do better, sure, but this is good enough, and 10 years from now a camera could do better, but I am not printing big so it really wouldn't matter.

The important part is I got the images, I could have used film and it wouldn't matter as long as I got the images.

Pictures are about memories, art, telling a story. Technology does not do that or know the difference.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow