Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
deploylinux
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
G15 saturation & skin color
10 months ago

So, based on some earlier posts in this forum, I experimented with setting 'saturation +1, skin color -1' in jpeg mode on my g15 the last two weeks:

In principle, the suggested change made sense since the skin color is a slightly overdone by default.  However, the resulting pictures had two noticeable defects -- a) general clothing colors were way too saturated afterwards requiring me to reduce overall saturation  during post processing and b) the skin colors were just barely acceptable and the post processing desaturation made them horrible.

Therefore, I've returned to the normal settings.

I did also experiment with sharpness +1, and the resulting images were too noisy.

I'm tempted to say that the jpeg color modifiers in camera are just going to be very hard to tweak to anything overall better for most cases than the default.  There is more a risk of causing harm than gaining anything?

That said, I've come across a few situations where I'm thinking setting saturation lower might help...taking pictures of bright monocolor 3d printed objects produces super saturated jpegs..so in that case, perhaps saturation -1 or -2 might make sense.

Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow