History & Future of the dSLR

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,340
Like?
Re: historical content
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, Jun 15, 2013

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

The same thing was said a decade ago. The forum users then said that the Canon 1Ds was the pinnacle of camera technology and that the laws of physics prevented much more of anything at all.

Who said the laws of physics thing? I'd love to pull up the comment.

Improvements...there are plenty to be made. People underestimate what is possible, but they only need to look at how our eyes or the eyes of certain animals are better than what we have in many areas. Liquid lenses for starters.

Liquid lenses, far better dynamic range, silent autofocus, superb stabilisation system. There are always improvements to be made without smashing the laws of physics, heh.

And yet, here we are today. And that once great $8000 marvel of engineering is now in the bargain bin for $400.

Of course. Same with any fast moving tech.

It still takes great pictures, but compared to what's available it's just not there anymore. And the same will occur in the future, over and over and over again.

Yep.

Technology doesn't care about my or your ideas about what is possible.

I think things are moving too slowly compared to where I see things can go, even though I can see that a lot has happened and love the progress. Better EVFs for mirrorless models. Designs that don't throw away so much light before it reaches the sensor; the eventual banishing of big lenses to provide good pic quality, etc.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/02/05/bye-bye-bayer-panasonic-claims-new-sensor-tech-ends-color-filter-light-loss

It simply marches onward, unstoppable and constant. Change will come and we will buy the newer cameras just as we have before and just as we always will. I don't know what that technology will be, but we will want it.

Agreed. But ... I won't let that stop me from capturing the moment here and now.

There are plenty of users who sell their gear before it depreciates too much. Good cameras (and lenses, for now)...I see their value lasting a fairly long time though... (some not financially but in other areas such as enjoyment of using them and ergonomics).

I still use 'old' cameras from a few years ago (8 megapixel) over some of my newer stuff and enjoy the process more and I think that helps in the output. A lot of that is better ergonomic design and some of that is being intimately familiar with the camera and what the camera is and isn't capable of.

Over 10 years, many things change. Including us.

Buying the top-end camera of any era will mean massive devaluation in just a few short years. The top-end cameras are designed to be the pinnacles of output and don't sell in high volumes...you're already in the land of 'too much money and diminishing returns'....so the monetary devaluation examples will always be severe.

Same with so many other products that were once 'top end' in other fast-moving industries.

The other side of the coin is new users can take up the hobby relatively cheaply. I see more benefits than drawbacks in industries where change is relatively quick and there is so much new tech yet to be explored.

Anyway, it's pretty exciting to see where things will be 10 years from now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow