Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,045
Like?
either then
In reply to deVista, Jun 14, 2013

deVista wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I shoot JPG and always try for lowest ISO feasible under the circumstances. I always seem to be busy and seem to produce too many images already so that to have to get involved with too much processing seems like I would just end up with a massive backlog. I'm sure however that one day I'll make the move to using RAW - perhaps when they sort the D600 out so that the risk of constant sensor cleaning is alleviated I will buy an FX and the cost will give me the final push to shooting in RAW so as to make the most of the investment. For the mo I'm happy lugging around lighter gear.

In that case look at features and decide. You can set either camera up for more pleasing skin tones/color and get very close to the same D90 look. Will simply take a tiny bit of effort in the beginning playing with defaults. Some don't actually note much of a difference (D90 to D7100) but ours eye/brain can be wired very different, one person to the next. Good Luck

D5200 from  imaging-resource.com

Skin tones. The Nikon D5200's Caucasian skin tones looked just about right when using manual white balance in simulated daylight. A very good job here. Where oversaturation is most problematic is on Caucasian skin tones, as it's very easy for these "memory colors" to be seen as too bright, too pink, too yellow, etc.

Hue. The Nikon D5200 did shift cyan toward blue, red toward orange, and light green toward yellow, but shifts were relatively minor. (The cyan to blue shift is very common among the digital cameras we test; we think it's a deliberate choice by camera engineers to produce better-looking sky colors.) With an average "delta-C" color error at base ISO of 5.2 after correction for saturation, overall hue accuracy was about average. Hue is "what color" the color is.

Saturation Adjustment
The Nikon D5200 has a total of seven saturation levels available, three above and three below the default saturation, plus an Auto setting. This covers a pretty wide range of saturation levels, about as wide a range as you're likely to find photographically relevant, apart from special effects that are arguably better achieved in software. The fine steps between settings mean it's easy to program the camera to just the level of saturation you prefer. Saturation also doesn't impact contrast, which is ideal but not always the case.

D7100 is not that different.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow