History & Future of the dSLR

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alleg1
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
Re: History & Future of the dSLR
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, Jun 14, 2013

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

I'm not going to go all the way back to the Foot-Long and larger batteries from the then industry-leading Kodak digital cameras. I think that it was really the 2000's that brought the dSLR into the mainstream with marvels such as the Fuji S2 Pro and the Canon 1Ds (cameras about a decade old now). The 1Ds in particular was an $8,000 engineering marvel of its time. Today, you can get one off Ebay for $400.

At that time, I suggested that the advances in camera technology would surpass everyone's imagination. I was scoffed at by so-called and most-likely self-proclaimed people of intelligence and experience. But fast-forward to today's camera systems and all that incredible leaps and bounds we have made from mirrorless to LCD to DR to ISO to MP and it's nothing short of miraculous.

Mark my words. Today's D4 is going to be just like that 1Ds and have a value of 1/20th of it's current price. Because just like the Canon 1Ds, technology will evolve beyond anyone's cute but woefully inadequate comprehension of physics. The naysayers will have you believe that because of the laws of physics (btw almost none of them even have a friend who has a degree in physics let alone themselves and they are just mimicking what they hear on the internet), but because of physics they will say that we are at the end or near the end of our MP, ISO, DR capabilities.

In about a decade, technology will prove these people wrong... again.

Because last decade, that's what all the "pros" in forums were saying about the 1Ds Camera. It was the pinnacle of success! A camera so powerful, with images so clean, it could not be beaten. But it's been so completely and utterly beaten that you can buy one for $400 if you really want an inferior piece of trash compared to what's available today.

A new sensor can be made with graphene. The Foveon sensor is out of infancy and becoming more viable. Much of what a camera is and does comes from the computers that interpret the light, and these are constantly evolving, and even if no sensor improvements were made then cameras would still become far more superior over time simply because of the computer components that will exist in a decade. The smart-phone technology craze is pushing the limit of electronics miniaturization and this will trickle-effect into everything we buy including cameras.

Some will say I'm crazy, foolish, trolling, or just plain wrong. Others will get it. But here's the reality that we face as consumers and users of one of the fastest evolving technologies: That as camera users, our output is becoming obsolete. If you have been in photography for a decade or more, then you know this is true. Sure you can dredge up some stunning pictures; but how often do you actually really look at them or use them now, for anything????

I'm beginning to believe that photography is less about the actual photograph and more about the equipment than ever before, and that this will not change anytime soon. Perhaps the biggest investment you could make for yourself is to stop buying equipment altogether. Because no matter what you do, in a decade a D800 camera will be something so pathetic and useless, you'll wonder why people even talked about some utterly insignificant difference between the D800 and D800e. It won't matter, and you wouldn't be caught dead shooting that old piece of junk anyway, either of them. So you could save yourself 10s of 1000s of dollars and just stop now.

It's almost impossible to think about, isn't it? I can't stop. I know that. I enjoy it too much to stop. But I also understand that in a decade (possibly and even probably less), I'm really not going to care at all anyway. I'll be using something far better by then.

This idea that all my photography is becoming obsolete helps me to relax. I'm not painting the cysteine chapel, EVER!! No one will ever take a picture that lasts the test of time; because in just a short decade no one will be using these outdated, featureless, obsolete cameras anymore. And beyond that, we could all be taking hologram pics or memory photos that connect directly to a person's brain to give them a chance to see what the martian landscape would look like if you were standing right there on the planet. So every picture I take today, I take with the knowledge that after just a little time passes and I'm another decade older, that I won't care about them.... at all.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

What are you on? I want some of that!

Alleg1's gear list:Alleg1's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Olympus E-510
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow