Green handling by different camera brands and models...

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,718Gear list
Like?
Green handling by different camera brands and models...
Jun 14, 2013

I find it interesting how different sensors, brands, etc., handle greens differently. Specifically, I've noticed that Sigma greens on my dP2 Merrill are more realistic than on my Sony, Nikon and Canon cameras. It seems the Foveon sensor is more sensitive to hue shifts in greens than my other cameras. For example, my Sony cameras in general, seem to boost green and render it with more "neon" yellow tones. My Canon sensors seem to "warm" greens and lack the degree of subtle variations of the Sigma. my Nikons seem to render greens more neutral and "closer" to correct than either my Sony or Canons, but not quite as realistic in color depth as the DP2 Merrill.

Having said this, I actually "prefer" the boost given by Sony which makes for some excellent photos even though the greens are more, shall we say, "neon" in appearance. Just an interesting observation while taking snapshots of some strawberries and looking at the screen results of the strawberry leaves compared live to the subjects. Not worth posting images because it wasn't a "test" and I do not have identical lenses for these cameras. I simply let the metering decide and shot all in a program mode for fun. Later I may do some more serious and controlled experiments, but this observation reinforces what I've seen in past years since the SD15 was introduces.

Best regards,

Lin

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow