Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
AShimon
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?
Re: Agree to Disagree
In reply to Chris Noble, Jun 14, 2013

Chris Noble wrote:

AShimon wrote:

There are definite benefits to having multiple drives in a single system.

For the OP's needs, if he has ample RAM, one SSD for high traffic and one HDD for intermittent traffic, the additional benefit of additional drives is vanishingly small.

Not everyone lives in your world, apparently. I see the benefit of using SSD for storage to be increasingly beneficial. Not sure how anyone could argue against the benefits of SSD storage, except for cost.

While, purely statistically speaking, you are correct that the more items in the system makes it more unreliable -- it is worth noting that a modern computer system has millions of parts, tens of thousands of individual connections, and it's all made as cheaply as possible. Yet, computers today have achieved a very low failure rate.

No actually, it is not worth "noting that". HDDs are the #1 failure mechanism, and SSDs are the #1 wear mechanism. You are missing the forest for the "millions and tens of thousands" trees.

I'd like to see the statistics on HDDs being the #1 failure mechanism and SSD being #1 wear mechanism -- you pulled those statements out of the clouds, I think. I have certainly replaced far more failed PSUs than failed HDDs in the 12 years I have been servicing and building PCs. In fact, looking at my records for the last two years, I have not replaced a single HDD due to failure. Most of them were SSD replacements.

In the real world, his setup will most likely run for years without issue. Whether that extra SSD is a sensible choice is up for debate. Personally, I would just go for the 512GB 840 Pro and be done with it.

More expensive than what I suggest, and a single 512GB SSD (rather than a 256 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD) will not give him the amount of online storage he will need.

I never suggested that his only drive be the 512GB, nor did I flesh my suggestion out very well. I meant to say that rather than purchase two SSDs for his machine, just purchase a single larger one.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow