Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,551
Like?
Considering Ricoh GR Over Nikon A...a Few Concerns
10 months ago

Hello I'm strongly considering purchasing Ricoh GR but after reading Battle of the 28mm compacts: Ricoh GR vs Nikon Coolpix A by Ming T, I have reservations and need advice.

First of all I think Ricoh blows the Nikon A away in ergonomics and style (I hate the style of the Nikon especially the grip). Price is a non-issue for me. Right now I'm leaning towards the GR BUT I have a few important concerns:

1) Specifically with regards to color and micro contrast. I'm thinking perhaps Nikon has the better lens overall because pure resolving power is NOT the sole determining factor of lens quality. Equally or perhaps even more important are color and contrast. It seems to me the GR may edge out the Nikon in corner resolution (slightly?) but the Nikon trumps the GR in both color and contrast. I like images that POP with great color and contrast and I'm worried the GR can't deliver as well as the Nikon here. Your thoughts please--consider I do not want to do RAW post processing to correct lens deficiencies for color and contrast. I want punchy out of camers jpegs.

2) I must be able to decouple AF and spot meter. Ming says it's easy with the Nikon A so that is a huge plus for me. Regarding GR, Ming says: "Can’t easily decouple focus and spot meter without a lot of button gymnastics." Huh? What does this mean exactly? Can I set the GR up to focus with some rear button and lock exposure with half shutter button press or not? If so, how difficult is this to do and will this setting stick with power off/on? Can someone clarify?

Thanks in advance.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow