Panasonic GF-3 launches me into the micro 4/3 realm, advice?

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,110Gear list
Like?
Re: a nice choice for starters ...
In reply to agentlossing, Jun 14, 2013

agentlossing wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion of the 19mm, I've been considering that one, it looks like a lot of value for the price! My only concern is its size; it appears to be smaller than the kit zoom, but not quite pocketable... I'm very desirous of any of the pancake primes, would you suggest any of those as being a similar value? I see that the Olympus 17mm f/2.8 is not that expensive either, but I'm wondering if there are any major issues I need to avoid...

The 17 and 20 sound great too. I doubt you could go wrong with any of them ... they just cost more. The pancake zoom is also excellent and very pocketable, but it also costs more ... the going price for the Oly 17 1.8 on FredMiranda.com is 425 ... the going price for the Panasonic 20 1.7 is around 270 ... but there are not many of them as they sell quickly it appears ...

These lenses cost more than the Sigma, even when used but they are faster and smaller. The Sigma is excellent for video as well, the others might be but that is not their reputation. But I agree that you need a coat pocket to carry the Sigma with even the smallest bodies like the GF3 ...

Here are the GF3/19mm and the GX1/14-42 X side by side for comparison ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow