RX1 vs. Canon 5D iii

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
darrellc
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
Re: RX1 vs. Canon 5D iii
In reply to halfmonkey, Jun 14, 2013

I have an 8 month old and 4 year old. I have RX1, D800 (used to have 5D2), OM-D, RX100 and my wife has a V1.

I use the OM-D and D800 for shooting my kids. C-AF works great on D800, not on OM-D, but the focus acquisition is so quick on the OM-D and face detection is eerily accurate, so you just pump the shutter and get a high keeper rate. The V1 is awesome, but low light performance sucks unless you're using the 18.5, but even then I'd take the OM-D over it any day unless I'm outside in sunlight with my 4 yr old.

RX1 is great, but you'll never get a shot of a quick-moving kid, and in general you'll be challenged to get focusing spot on with active children.

I've traveled with my kids and used the RX1/RX100 combo (shared battery, great travel kit) and gotten fantastic results, but you have to accept a LOT of missed shots with the RX1. I of course need to rationalize my kit, and the RX1 may end up being sold. If I had more time to shoot subjects other than my kids, I'd never consider selling it...

I'd also add that the swivel lcd on the OM-D is EXTREMELY useful when shooting kids.

In some respects, I really prefer the shooting experience with the OM-D over the D800 (of course the results with the D800 are better, but if the OM-D had AF tracking...).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow