Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,753Gear list
Like?
Re: clients simple dont care
In reply to roustabout66, Jun 14, 2013

roustabout66 wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Exactly. Even from my 35mm film in my F5, my 8x10 wedding album prints have virtually zero grain. I've even done 16x20 prints from them without any comments as to grain.

That's interesting Dave. When did you shoot 35mm for weddings? The reason I ask is back when I was doing weddings in the late 70s and early 80s everyone was using 120 and Honeywell potato masher flashes. I was the only one in my area who added 35mm and fast film (Fujicolor 400) for my second shooter to do some available light stuff. The main camera was VPS of course. Second shooter and available light with small cameras was pretty revolutionary stuff at the time

My lab hated me and kept trying to convince me to stick to 120 but I liked the results I got. More importantly the clients bought the prints

The last one was only a matter of months ago.  I put aside the wedding portion of my biz to concentrate more on lifestyle shooting and personal work.  The 35mm shots I do now with modern films are better than the 120 rollfilm from the 70's and 80's.

Nowadays, I run 35mm for some portrait sessions along with 4x5.  Grain just isnt that much of an issue with modern films.  That said, even my old 10D was better at high iso than many 35mm films.  I found early on that clients dont get bothered by grain, or. Moderate amount of digital noise....but they dont seem to like a fake, smooth look to images run thru NR.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow