Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305Gear list
Like?
Good points - you're just wrong
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, Jun 14, 2013

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

MarkJH wrote:

Which circles us back to the OP, who's doing something quite similar: handing down someone else's empty line about technology spelling irrelevance rather than producing, himself, something original that argues its own relevance. If you one day find that you're no longer interested in your own photographs, I assure you: it's not a sign of your prescience to a great social sea change; it's just a sign that you aren't being very original.

Actually, I'm not saying that photography is dying. I'm saying that everyone currently owns an obsolete camera from the perspective of 10 years in the future.

Now some people argue that the D800e and perhaps D4 will still be viable cameras a decade from now; but I do not see that.

Look at this Canon 1Ds: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1ds/Images/inhand01.jpg

This was an $8000 camera when $8000 meant more than it does today. Just visually, you can describe reasons why you would not use this camera compared to one made today. But it was the undisputed king of the DSLRs at that time.

But you're looking at dollar values not what the camera can do. In 10 years a D800 will still take fantastic photos ( or allow someone to ) Everything is there in the package. We are not going to be taking 3-D holograms.  And your time frame is probably a little to short. The D200 is approaching a decade old and you can still get an excellent photo out of that. In fact I have an old F3HP lying around that will still do the trick. And if you put one on Craigslist for $300 or $400 someone is only to happy to grab it up.

Graphene batteries can be any shape, so they can easily place batteries inside the camera casing around all the components. Also graphene batteries can last 10 times longer than current tech batteries. It's also lighter.

A graphene camera body would be stronger than magnesium, yet thinner and lighter.

Advances in miniaturization from smart phone tech will trickle down to cameras.

Foveon will have had a whole decade to become more viable.

A decade ago, no one would have predicted Nikon's flagship camera to have an ISO setting of 204,000; and yet here we are. So we can also count on technology increases we can't predict.

If any of you are still using your D800's in a decade, I'll be really, really surprised.

Mine will probably be on ebay for the 8th time by then for $150.

I'll be using a camera that does things my D800 can't even dream about. Just like the 1Ds would be in a box somewhere if I owned both the D800 and the 1Ds. Why would I even pick that old camera up at all? It will be much the same in a decade.

And when that time comes, and it will; I will already know that the amazing camera I will hold in my hands then will be only a fraction of the power of cameras that the future of that future will bring.

Technology will never stop its ceaseless march to overcome every obstacle and bring about more features that people will care about, whether that's a wearable LCD screen, hologram cameras, or cameras that analyzes your images and everyone else's that has taken and published a photograph from that location so that you can virtually walk around in your photograph. I really don't know what the future technology will bring; but I know that I will want it far more than my by-then measly D800e. And I'll know then that I'll want the technology from the next decade and so on.

The awareness that the future will have me owning far superior equipment helps me to relax because I realize that I am generating future obsolescence. By today's standards, it's just fantastic. But I know that whatever the future brings, I will not own this camera because the new ones will be so much better. I won't look at my D800e folders anymore, just as I don't look at my older camera's folders now. And that trend will continue through my lifetime because camera technology will never stop re-inventing itself. Because of this understanding, I relax and I'm not tense at all trying for perfection that won't matter in 10 years anyway. And I've noticed a measurable, perceptible improvement in my work. I find it so ironic that the very knowledge of my art disappearing before my eyes results in some of the best work I'm generating. It's rather refreshing to think of all that photography will offer in the future. And that it will never stop getting progressively better. Maybe for me too as I keep altering my understanding of it. I mean what is photography but the gathering and sifting of thousands and thousands of images, pulling out the best gems we have, polishing them and painting them with our creativity, and expressing them to others. If you can find a way to stand out because you view life with the idea that time will bring about the same big leaps and bounds as it has this far, then maybe that will help your work to stand out from the crowd. Your work should always stand out. A hundred photographers here should be able to capture the same scene and every single one of them should be a signature. But it's not like that, is it? Most of them will be an average, a few just plain bad, and a few that stand out. It won't be because of their gear as much as their heart. But who's kidding who, the gear counts for something.

I like looking ahead. I think it's more realistic than not and we'll see..

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow