Lens for young daughter pictures (on D3100)

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bimini Bob
Contributing MemberPosts: 600
Like?
Lens for young daughter pictures (on D3100)
Jun 14, 2013

Having lost my loved D40 recently, I got a D3100 and 18-55mm VR kit lens to replace it.

I am a basic photographer, I tend to leave it in Aperture mode mainly, then just choose as low an f-number as the lens will allow to get bokeh shots, or put it to about f8 for anything else.

My main purpose of photography is to get pictures of my daughter (and wife!), not in a studio, just out and about (we go outdoors a lot to scenic countryside parks, but no sports).

Having read these forums, I think the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G is my best bet.  Appreciate any thoughts before I buy it, as my budget will only allow me one more lens on top of the 18-55mm kit lens.  I can get it for £150, any other lens you would suggest would have to come in under £200.

As an idea of the kind of picture I'm looking for, here are a couple from my D40 and the only lens I had, the 18-55mm (non VR) kit lens.  I quite liked the bokeh on this, but stronger bokeh would have been better.  I do love the colours and smooth tones from the D40, hopefully the D3100 will be able to match it.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Nikon D3100 Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow