Why Can't Fuji X Cameras Focus Faster & More Accurately?

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JakeB
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
Why Can't Fuji X Cameras Focus Faster & More Accurately?
Jun 14, 2013

I've previously owned a Fujifilm X100 and I'm planning in the next year or two to switch from my Nikon system (D7000) to the Fuji X-E1's successor, so I often read threads on this forum.

The one constant that I keep encountering are AF issues -- both focus speed and focus accuracy. It seems to me that being able to acquire fast, accurate focus is not a luxury but an essential component of a good camera.

My standard for this is my D7000 and Nikon 24-70 f2.8. For those who haven't had the pleasure (and backache) of using the Nikon 24-70 f2.8, focus acquisition is instantaneous and accurate, even in very dark conditions. Obviously, as with all AF, there must be some kind of contrast (i.e. it would fail with white walls).

I understand that it may be unrealistic to expect that kind of performance from a mirrorless camera, but while I'm fine with slightly slower focus acquisition, I would find not being able to lock on to subjects very frustrating.

From my reading it seems that mirrorless cameras like the OM-D beats the current Fujis in terms of speed and accuracy of focus.

Any ideas why this is and thoughts on next generation models such as the X-Pro 2 and X-E2 improving this situation?

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow