Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,882
Like?
Asus N56V Series Laptop
Jun 14, 2013

I recently purchased the Asus N56VJ-DH71 laptop with Windows 8, Intel i7 CPU, 1TB hard drive, 8GB RAM, 4 USB 3.0 ports, 1920x1080 pixels LED IPS display, 2GB of video RAM and backlit keyboard.

I immediately replaced the stock hard drive with a Samsung 840 250GB SSD. The included Samsung Data Migration Tool and Samsung Magician software made it a breeze to clone the existing drive and optimized the SSD for my Windows 8 environment. I also replaced the memory and installed two DIMMS of Crucial 16GB RAM.

• It is very fast. Takes 7 seconds for Windows 8 to load after pressing the power button! All other program loads almost instantly
  • I dislike the Windows 8 "Metro" or tiles look and missed the Start Menu, so I installed a Start Menu/Desktop alternative called Classic Shell (recommended by Mark Sykes) which allows Windows 8 to look like Windows 7, add the classic Start Menu on lower lefthand corner and boot to the desktop instead of the "Metro" display.

I will be using the laptop primarily as my field PC for downloading images, editing them on the fly when needed and for my DJing purposes. DATA is stored on an external LaCie USB 3.0 hard drive and not on the SSD. So far, I am happy with this purchase.

-- hide signature --
Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow