Shifting from M 4/3 to DSLR. Which DSLR is good for landscape photography?

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rsenk19
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?
Shifting from M 4/3 to DSLR. Which DSLR is good for landscape photography?
Jun 14, 2013

Hello,

The passion in photography for me stated an year before with my

Olympus EPL-2 and Olympus XZ-1. After clicking some hundreds of shots,

I have started feeling my EPL-2 is not enough capable of making stunning landscape images like the DSLRs.

The dynamic range is not enough to satisfy my taste (though it is not very bad).And when it comes to family portrait and low light photography, I have to swap my lenses (I have Pany 20mm F 1.7 and Oly 45mm F 1.8 apart from the kit lenes came with my EPL-2).

Upgrading to OMD-EM5 was bot costlier and so decided to move to NEX system and was askingsome experts opinions on both m 4/3 and NEX forums. Obviously, the m 4/3 members convinced me to stick with m 4/3 system and NEX forum members were eagerly suggesting me some NEX models.

Last week, I visited the nearby camera store and was astonished by the size and weight of the mid entry level Nikon`s D5200 and some DSLRs from Pentax.

Now, I am almost decided to go with a decent DSLR for my photography needs.

Here is what I WILL DO mostly with my gear :

1. Landscape photograhy. So, availability of reasonable prize wide angle lens is very important.

2. Low light and portrait stills during dinner parties and some street photography at night

(so, at least one good prime lens is required)

3. Macro and BULB photography

4. Clicking of my 3 years old daughter when she is jumping and running in the parks

(With any fast prime lens, this will not be a problem I guess)

Here is What I WILL NOT do with my gear:

1. Shooting videos with my gear (My iPhone 5 produces enough quality of video)

2. Sports photography with high zoom

3. Wild life photography.. I don`t intend to add any heavy weight telephoto leneses in the system

Whatever the gear I choose, the system(Nikon or Canon or Pentax) should be versatile and stable enough to invest more enses for future use.

And my max budget is within 1000 USD.

I am hearing Pentax cameras are good for landscape photography (but  don`t understand the technical reasons ) and gives more controls to the photographer. But, I am fearing the stability of the company Pentax which was acquired by Ricoh. So, hesitating to invest in the lenses of Pentax.

Having said that, I am thinking to start my DSLR life with

Nikon D5200 + kit lens (18-55mm)

and a prime lens such as 35mm or 50 mm with F 1.8

I need some suggestions/input to know whether I am heading towards in the right direction to fulfill my needs.

Any suggestions will be much helpful and appreciated.

Regards

Senthil

rsenk19's gear list:rsenk19's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +7 more
Nikon D5200 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow