RX1 vs. Canon 5D iii

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Fazal Majid
Contributing MemberPosts: 857Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1 vs. Canon 5D iii
In reply to halfmonkey, Jun 14, 2013

halfmonkey wrote:

I'm in the market to finally upgrade to full frame and I've narrowed down my choices to either the Sony RX1 or the Canon 5D iii. I know these two cameras are in completely different categories and that's what making the decision so difficult. I guess I wasn't really even considering the RX1 at first because of the fixed 35mm. It was the quality of the pictures and the size that drew me in. If I buy the 5D iii, I'd purchase the 24-70 ii lens with it to start off.

I have both the 5DIII and the RX1, as well as the 24-70 f/2.8L II.

So I know that deciding which camera to pick will ultimately fall to my style of shooting but I'd like to ask for your guys' opinion or suggestions on things to consider when deciding between the two cameras.

I would probably say that my primary focus at this point is taking pictures of my little kids. They're 5.5, 4, and 6 months.

My daughter is 17 months old at the moment. She's the reason why I dusted off the DSLR (originally a 5DII).

If you want to shoot your kids, it's a no-brainer - the AF on the RX1 is mediocre at best, the Canon is stellar. The 24-70LII is also an excellent lens, significantly better than the mkI.

I guess one of the main things holding me back on the RX1 is the fixed 35mm lens. I know it's generally considered a walkaround lens, maybe a little on the wide side but non-the-less, a usable walk around lens.

I've compiled my list of pros and cons for each. Please feel free to give feedback to suggest things to consider for each.

RX1...

pros:

1. small - I guess the first rule of taking a great picture is to have the camera with you in the first place.

The lens protrudes quite a bit, and it's not that pocketable. That's why my EDC camera is a Fuji X100S, which yields better images in practice thanks to better AF and the VF's compositional abilities.

2. cheaper than the 5D iii

cons:

1. fixed 35mm lens; non-changable - not necessarily the best for shots of kids

2. accessories are extremely expensive

The barrel distortion on the 35mm is quite severe. You can correct it in LR, but you will trade some resolution in the process.

5Diii...

pros:

1. interchangable lens - allwos for flexibility

cons:

1. heavy and large - there not as portable as I'd like. Can't just throw in a bag or wife's purse or pocket

Granted, but you will have a much higher proportion of keepers.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (http://www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Leica M Typ 240 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow