DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's another quote:
In reply to headofdestiny, 10 months ago

headofdestiny wrote:

DFPanno wrote:

headofdestiny wrote:

No matter where you're standing in the world, there are billions of different photos that could be taken with every focal length available, but that doesn't mean that I need to be prepared for all of them, especially when time is of the essence. If anything, photography is about learning what not to shoot, and a single focal length helps aim towards that goal, at least for me, but, of course, this is a sliding scale that is different for everyone.

As Orson Welles famously stated, "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations."

Mine: "The enemy of art is limitations".

I am a long standing lover of great quotes from great people. One of the wonderful things about quotes is that one can always find one to support one's views; no matter how bizarre or off-beat.

That said I don't think we are in disagreement. I comprehend, totally, what you are saying. The joy and power inherent in a single focal length shooting is a classic photographic discourse.

I agree with it when I am in the mood and disagree with it when I'm not.

I am thankful that when I'm not I have access to other focal legths and other possibilties.

best-

Oddly enough, it's rare that I use great quotes from great people. That one just springs to mind with this conversation.

Choice with equipment, mediums, materials, etc. is something that I think we all struggle with, no matter the art. When I used to play guitar in bands all the time, I'd go from having a guitar effects pedal board with a zillion options one year, to stripping it all away and just plugging straight into the amp the next year. I think it's a pretty fluid thing that we all go back and forth through.

Great analogy.

Really, all I intended my point to be in this thread was that 35mm is certainly great for all kinds of portraiture. Maybe not head and shoulders type portraiture, but all kinds of environmental types. Some great portrait pros will use longer or shorter focal lengths, depending on the model's face structure. In fact, wide angle lenses are often great for up close portraits of kids and babies. Platon uses wide angles for portraits of adults to great effect.

Agree and appreciate all points made.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow