What are you using for macro photography?

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chris De Schepper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,118Gear list
Like?
Re: What are you using for macro photography?
In reply to nilsch, Jun 13, 2013

nilsch wrote:

Chris De Schepper wrote:

nilsch wrote:

I use:

Tokina 35mm for product shots. Great lens. Can also serve as a "normal" lens.

Nikon 85mm VR for travelling light and hiking. Surprisingly good and very lightweight.

Nikon 105mm VR for most of what I do. Love it!

Tamron 180mm for bugs and such. Good lens, but would choose Sigma 150mm OS if I could replace it.

If I had to sell all but one lens I would keep the Nikon 105mm VR. Contrary to to what I thought when they came out, VR can be very helpful at near-macro photography without a tripod (e.g. flowers, bugs).

All macro lenses usually are great performers. If you are going to buy one lens, choose one in the 85-105mm range. Any macro lens from Nikon, Tokina, Tamron, Sigma are great. If you are going to use it for flowers and bugs while walking around I would choose one with VR/OS.

having both the 85mm VR and the 105VR, is there a noticable difference in optical quality?

The 105VR has a rather unique creamy IQ that I find hard to explain and which I find very pleasing. The 85VR is not that far behind stopped down (as one usually do in macro photography). The main selling point for the 85 is its weight (380g vs 720g) and size.

thanks for your answer, at the moment I use a canon 500d diopter together with my 70-300VR, since I make the majority of my pictures during long walks , weight is a serious consideration

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow