RX1 vs. Canon 5D iii

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: Let's carry your analogy a step further
In reply to DFPanno, Jun 13, 2013

The RX1 is a very tricky proposition, I think. In many ways it's quite a bit better for kid shots, as some have already mentioned; unobtrusiveness, quiet shutter, take-everywhere size, etc. But, again as others have already mentioned, the ability of the AF to keep up with active children isn't even close to that of the 5D3. Still...I'd wager that if you took an RX1 and a 5D3 with the 24-70, any given shot with nailed focus at 35mm is going to look better coming from the RX1 (or in the very least have a bit less noise and a lot more DR).

The toughest thing about the RX1, though, is the price and its attendant poor value as an investment. There's no lens to sell once the body becomes out of date - the whole thing just depreciates as one. Average used prices for the RX1 are already down around $2200-2300, and as soon as there's a successor they'll fall even further. If you buy a 5d3, the camera will obviously depreciate - but the lenses you buy for it won't.

Can I assume, by the fact that you're looking at a 5D3 and 24-70 ii, that you've got around $5000 to spend? Or let's say $4000 factoring in used purchases? If so, I'd strongly suggest you A) consider the Tamron 24-70 over the Canon and B) go for a used 6D instead of a 5D3. If $5000 is your budget, you may actually be able to squeeze a 6D, Tamron 24-70, and RX1 in if you buy them all used!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow