The whole question of lens sharpness...

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Sharpness not too important on 2.4MP monitor ...
In reply to BertIverson, Jun 13, 2013

BertIverson wrote:

PK24X36NOW wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

gdourado wrote:

... Do we really need more and more sharpness? For portraits, events, models... is super sharpness even a good thing? How much is enough? ...

My take on this is simple. If one can fill the frame (avoiding cropping), lens sharpness is usually irrelevant when viewing on a 2.4MP monitor. Viewing a 16MP shot on a 2.4MP monitor means about 4-6 sensor pixels are rendered into 1 pixel on the monitor. In the case of a zoom lens, it only needs to be real sharp at the extreme long end. At lesser FL one will fill the frame (see above).

my 0.02 -- PS pixel peeping not allowed

Bert

When viewing the whole image, then the effect is probably not going to be seen in a big way on screen, as you indicated, but, alas, "pixel peeping" is how critical image sharpness can be seen in a way that could only be replicated in film days with a microscope (looking at a slide or negative, not a print, which would not display all of the original's information), and that is where image sharpness differences can be seen on a computer screen. Viewing "actual pixels" on screen is the (size) equivalent of massive print sizes that are seldom, if ever, going to be made by most people. The contrast ratios available in print are also far more limited than viewing on screen.

Craig,

I agreed with your post.

My post was not to question the wisdom of sharpness when printing large but rather to inspire those who view on a monitor 99.99% of the time (or make smallish prints) to think about the expensive lens lust. If one fills the frame, kit lens pretty much looks the same as a $2000 super lens.

100% pixel peeping is, indeed, a good/easy way to check sharpness and yes lens sharpness is definitely necessary if one crops/digital zooms or makes large prints.

Since I am one of those 2.3MP monitor viewers and digitally zoom 2X on occasion, I ask that my lens be tack sharp in the center 1/4 region at maximum zoom (the 2X crop tosses the remaining 3/4 peripheral pixels -- leaving me with a 5MP shot)

Cheers,
Bert

Small prints also benefit from a sharper lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow