RX1 vs. Canon 5D iii

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139
Like?
Re: RX1 vs. Canon 5D iii
In reply to halfmonkey, 10 months ago

Simple decision for taking family photos is RX-1

I own both RX-1 and 5d3 w 24-70 2.8II and will vouch for those who say you'll miss some due to slower focus on RX-1, but I think this con and the fixed 35 disadvantage is more than compensated for by the inobtrusiveness of the RX-1. The 5d3 is pretty quiet in silent mode, but the RX-1 leaf shutter is completely noiseless. Also the size of the 5d3 and enormous opening on lenes like the 24-70 2.8II are quite in your face. The RX-1 blends in more like compact or camera phone.

If you are a sport fanatic and want pics of your kids playing fast moving sports than by all means go for the 5d3 but get a longer zoom like 70-200. If you are planning on shooting lots of outdoor photos then the 5d3 will also be a wiser choice since it allows you to have some distance between you and subjects.

I really believe from personal experience that you'll have the RX-1 with you more often than a large dslr. I bought a D-tech neoprene case for mine that allows me to safely throw it in a coat pocket or backpack, wifes purse etc.

The 35mm will require you to get quite close for portraits if you intend to print large. Smalller print sizes like 8x10 can be cropped out of about 1/4 of the original 24mp image. It is a perfect indoor focal length and also for group or scenic photos outdoors.

The only negative with RX-1 that I have found is the poor battery life. I can shoot 1000 images on one battery with the 5d3 but get only about 175-200 using the RX-1. So now I have 3 batteries and an external charger for it and still wish for a couple more.

I don't even have the EVF yet since it adds bulk and is very costly, but ai've seen the price come down recently so when it reaches a reasonable $200 I'll buy one for those moments when I want to try more advanced magic moment capturing.

I haven't spent a great deal of time with either cameras video features but wtih the little I did and the continuous focus advantage of the RX-1 and similar IQ I think the Sony will be sufficiant in this area as well. It doesn,t allow for stabilization so you will really want the EVF for video unless you opt for some kind of stabilization rig.

good luck with your decision and one more thing...

There are definately a lot less accessories to the RX-1 than the 5D3. You'll likely buy a lot of L glass and camera bags and flashes and tripods etc for the latter which will ultimately make it a much more expensive choice

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow