Need Advise For Trip to Yellowstone and Colorado

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
SantaFeBill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,999
Like?
Re: My Take
In reply to harpo95993, 10 months ago

harpo95993 wrote:

I'm heading to Yellowstone then on to Colorado to visit my daughter and need some advise. I'm taking my D7000 and D7100 but need advise on what lenses I should take. Right now I have my 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, 70-300mm VRII, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, Sigma 100-300mm f/4 and my Tamron TC1.4. What I haven't packed is my 16-85mm VRII, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS and my Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro I anticipate shooting family, wildlife and landscape shooting. If it were you going what would you take? Space isn't an issue since we're driving but I seriously think what I've packed so far is overkill. Anyway any advise would be greatly appreciated.

First, unless you plan to shoot the long lenses just on a tripod, I'd take the 70-300 VR and leave the Sigma 100-300. There's too much overlap in focal length coverage and VR is more important than the extra f-stop. Then also leave the TC. It puts the 70-300 to F/8 at the long end, with therefore iffy AF in anything but the brightest light (at best). Remember your D7100 has a crop mode, so if you need extra reach that is available.

Take the Sigma 17-50. It works very well for family shots, even in rather poor lighting indoors. (I used it last year for just that purpose on a trip to Colorado with excellent results.) Also, you don't then need the 17-55, as again the OS really helps more than (IMHO) any extra IQ from the 17-55. (I have  a sharp copy of the Sigma. YMMV.)

With the Sigma 17-50, I don't see the need for the fast primes unless you expect to shoot in some very low light situations. The D7000 has excellent high ISO IQ, and I assume the D7100 is as good or better. Likewise the 70-200. Unless you're planning on shooting concerts, save the weight.

Take the 11-16. You'll find many uses for it around the geyser pools and hot springs in Yellowstone, and possibly for landscapes in Colorado, depending on where you go.

The 16-85 is a sharp and versatile lens. You'll get good use from it.

Finally, I'd take the macro lens. But I like to shoot closeups, and, if you're going in the summer, wild and cultivated flowers in Colorado will be gorgeous.

So, my list:

70-300 VR, Sigma 17-50 OS, Tokina 11-16, Tamron 90, 16-85.That way, your equipment can be a help rather than a burden, and still should cover well your stated range of subjects.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow