History & Future of the dSLR

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,794Gear list
Like?
History & Future of a thought process in disarray
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, 10 months ago

Hm, you post certainly contain at least one bit to annoy or provoke almost anyone. As a discussion bait, it sort of push all the buttons at the same time. But unless you are just aiming at discussion for discussions sake, what is your point?

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

But fast-forward to today's camera systems and all that incredible leaps and bounds we have made from mirrorless to LCD to DR to ISO to MP and it's nothing short of miraculous.

Only if you look upon all technological development as miraculous.

Mark my words. Today's D4 is going to be just like that 1Ds and have a value of 1/20th of it's current price. Because just like the Canon 1Ds, technology will evolve beyond anyone's cute but woefully inadequate comprehension of physics.

Don't use yourself as a yardstick when measuring others ability to comprehend. The basic parts of physics involved in photography are mostly not that hard to grasp.

And no, a D4 will not go through as depreciation as fast as the one of the 1Ds. It will eventually drop as much in value, but it will take longer. Why? Because there are concepts as "good enough" involved here, not exactly physics, but it involves common sense which seem at times to be just as hard to grasp

The naysayers will have you believe that because of the laws of physics (btw almost none of them even have a friend who has a degree in physics let alone themselves and they are just mimicking what they hear on the internet), but because of physics they will say that we are at the end or near the end of our MP, ISO, DR capabilities.

In about a decade, technology will prove these people wrong... again.

That sound a lot like the arguments commonly used by any average snake oil salesman

Because last decade, that's what all the "pros" in forums were saying about the 1Ds Camera. It was the pinnacle of success! A camera so powerful, with images so clean, it could not be beaten.

I doubt very many really said or thought that. Any evidence to support that claim?

But it's been so completely and utterly beaten that you can buy one for $400 if you really want an inferior piece of trash compared to what's available today.

To no ones surprise except yours it seem.

A new sensor can be made with graphene. The Foveon sensor is out of infancy and becoming more viable.

Care to share any evidence to support Foevon sensors becoming more viable?

Much of what a camera is and does comes from the computers that interpret the light, and these are constantly evolving, and even if no sensor improvements were made then cameras would still become far more superior over time simply because of the computer components that will exist in a decade.

Now you make sense all of a sudden.

The smart-phone technology craze is pushing the limit of electronics miniaturization and this will trickle-effect into everything we buy including cameras.

It already is and has been for several years. It is part of that ongoing technological development that you seem to find so miraculous, and many others see as pretty normal.

Some will say I'm crazy, foolish, trolling, or just plain wrong. Others will get it. But here's the reality that we face as consumers and users of one of the fastest evolving technologies:

Many other technologies evolve faster.

That as camera users, our output is becoming obsolete. If you have been in photography for a decade or more, then you know this is true.

I have been in photography for over three decades, and no I do not agree at all.

Sure you can dredge up some stunning pictures; but how often do you actually really look at them or use them now, for anything????

More or less on a daily basis. Again don't use yourself as a yardstick when measuring others

I'm beginning to believe that photography is less about the actual photograph and more about the equipment than ever before, and that this will not change anytime soon.

Wow, that is both partly self contradicting and provoking at the same time. Nice one.

Perhaps the biggest investment you could make for yourself is to stop buying equipment altogether. Because no matter what you do, in a decade a D800 camera will be something so pathetic and useless, you'll wonder why people even talked about some utterly insignificant difference between the D800 and D800e.

Getting a bit carried away, are we?

It won't matter, and you wouldn't be caught dead shooting that old piece of junk anyway, either of them. So you could save yourself 10s of 1000s of dollars and just stop now.

Or, maybe you could stop writing nonsense?

It's almost impossible to think about, isn't it? I can't stop.

So you cannot stop doing something you consider impossible? That explains a lot about your reasoning

I know that. I enjoy it too much to stop. But I also understand that in a decade (possibly and even probably less), I'm really not going to care at all anyway. I'll be using something far better by then.

This idea that all my photography is becoming obsolete helps me to relax.

Much like your forum posts?

I'm not painting the cysteine chapel, EVER!! No one will ever take a picture that lasts the test of time; because in just a short decade no one will be using these outdated, featureless, obsolete cameras anymore. And beyond that, we could all be taking hologram pics or memory photos that connect directly to a person's brain to give them a chance to see what the martian landscape would look like if you were standing right there on the planet. So every picture I take today, I take with the knowledge that after just a little time passes and I'm another decade older, that I won't care about them.... at all.

Points for effort at being provocative, but you seem to loose steam about half way through, becoming a bit to incoherent to actually make anyone take you very seriously. If anyone did to begin with

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow