History & Future of the dSLR

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,399Gear list
Like?
Re: History & Future of the dSLR
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, Jun 13, 2013

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but the D800 / D800e can live long into the future.

DR is sufficient for most of us, and with time, HDR and other software, some not yet developed, will allow us to extract more from the D800 files

High ISO will probably at some point become a non issue, but the D800 can produce good images at high enough ISO to allow it to have a long life for many users.

A 36 mp file, from a properly taken shot, can produce a huge print, bigger than most of us will ever need.  We're not going to start building homes with all 20' high ceilings so that we'll be able to print 8' high prints.

AF, while not perfect, is still adequate for many.

If you go back to some of the cameras you mentioned, the limitations were apparant then.  The DR wasn't there, the IQ wasn't there, the file size for large prints wasn't there, the high ISO quality wasn't there, and the AF was no where near what it is now.  But 10 -15 years from now some photographer will still be able to extract stunning photos from an 800 / 800e and print them large enough for most requirements.

DR from one range of the scale to the other, High ISOs of 200,000 or so with no degradation of image,  high fps because of the elimination of mirrors as we know them, AF with immediate lock on and fool proof tracking certainly wouldn't surprise me. But I don't think that would make the D800 a dinosaur to the masses.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow