Warning - Nikon REFUSES to replace equipment they cannot fix, even if under warranty.

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
wlad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465
Like?
Re: Unfortunate
In reply to Breidablick, Jun 13, 2013

Breidablick wrote:

wlad wrote:

MikeInIndy wrote:

Breidablick wrote:

Well, good customer service/regulations in EU has nothing to do with higher prices on electronics - its about different taxes and duties than in US.

Doubling the typical warranty and forcing merchants to deal with (and replace if they can't repair pretty quickly) goods "has nothing to do with higher prices"? Really? I believe the main tax (VAT) is figured AFTER the already much higher MSRPs they pay. And it makes much more sense why that is seeing what kinds of requirements there are to back a product there. And I'm not saying it's a bad thing, as much junk as gets sold everywhere these days I'd rather pay more for products that actually work.

VAT is usually around 20% here in Europe.

MSRP is a useless information on the official product's site. Real prices are a lot lower, and VAT is calculated from whatever price a merchant comes up with.

Thanks for the clarification Wlad. Mike, just out of curiosity: I checked the current best deal for the D7100 with the kit lens over here (Sweden), took the VAT away (25%) and exchanged it into US currency: $963. What will you end up with if you add US VAT? I am not trying to make a point here, I am just curious.

The european prices include the VAT unless specified - US prices usually don't include any sales tax.

I found the D7100 body only for 9049 SEK here:

http://www.pricerunner.se/pl/29-2874635/Digitalkameror/Nikon-D7100-priser

If you remove the 25% VAT (by dividing the merchant's price by 1.25), you get 7239 SEK, which is roughly $1100.

Amazon US sells the D7100 body for $1197 without VAT (or sales tax). But since most of the people do not pay any VAT when shopping online in the US, it's the VAT that makes most of the difference when comparing US vs EU prices.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
TrueNew
NoNew
AllNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow