RX1 vs. Canon 5D iii

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
GeorgeP256
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Re: RX1 vs. Canon 5D iii
In reply to halfmonkey, Jun 13, 2013

I faced the same decision a few months ago.

I was using a Canon 60D and was looking to upgrade to full frame. I was considering the 5D Mk III and the RX1. I used the camera mostly to take pictures of my 3-year old daughter.
I decided on the RX1. The two primary reasons were:

- By far, most of shots I took with the 60D were at the 35mm focal length anyway.

- The smaller size, simpler handling was important. On a trip to the zoo, for example, the last thing I needed was to have to fiddle with a big camera.

Here are my takes on pros and cons:

RX1 pros:

- smaller

- easier to handle, more intuitive interface (especially for video)

5D Mk III pros:

- faster focusing

- with interchangeable lens, ability to zoom in (e.g., at her ballet recital)

I am happy with the my decision to go with the RX1. One thing I was worried about, was the ability to get well focused shots since she moves around quite a bit. I really don't think there is a significant difference in mis-focused shots with the RX1 vs the 60D. Assuming the 5D3 has better focus than the 60D, I may have gotten fewer mis-focused shots with the 5D3 than with the RX1, but similar to what Marc said, I take the RX1 places I would not have taken the 5D3, so I get more keepers overall

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow