My Fuji HS50EXR Review

Started Apr 21, 2013 | User reviews thread
Gordon W
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,500Gear list
Like?
Re: My Fuji HS50EXR Review
In reply to jcmarfilph, Jun 13, 2013

I appreciate the effort you put into this review, Joms. Let me first say that I bought an HS50 at the beginning of April after having compared it to a Canon SX50 at the same time and love the HS50. It's AF is nearly as fast as my DSLRs and has been very accurate, but it suffers from Fuji's chronic lens flare problem and I saw no mention of that in your review or in any of the replies to it. The flaring can be seen in a few of the first shots in this gallery...

http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/fuji_hs50

It is most troublesome in night photography and direct shots of the sun and even during daylight in rare cases such as in this shot...

FUJIFILM FinePix HS50EXR - 1/110s f/5.0 at 85.5mm iso200

Fortunately, small sensor cameras are not well suited for night photography anyway and it's best not to take direct shots of the sun with P&S cameras, so the kind of photography I bought the HS50 for (daylight) the flaring issue is rarely a problem, but I thought it should be brought to everyone's attention. All the night photos in my HS50 gallery that don't show flaring had it removed in PP.

When I bought the HS50 I had a 15 day period I could have returned it and gotten an SX50 instead, but felt the positive features of the HS50 greatly outweighed this one problem. Maybe some day I'll buy a Fuji camera that has normal lens flaring.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Gordon
_
Photography since 1950 • Digital since 1999
My online photo galleries

Gordon W's gear list:Gordon W's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS 400D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow