Warning - Nikon REFUSES to replace equipment they cannot fix, even if under warranty.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,376
Like?
Depends
In reply to wlad, 10 months ago

wlad wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

wlad wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Juggernaut122 wrote:

They finally agreed that since they cannot repair it that they would replace the equipment.

That is normal policy with NikonUSA. Three tries then replace. They do not publish this policy, and will not make it public.

Do you really have to deal with Nikon USA in the US ??

Yes. As explained to me...In the USA they are an independent subsidiary in direct competition with grey market. For that reason Nikon no longer supplies parts to third party vendors/service centers. Biggest problem for Nikon USA was that the newer cameras require a big money outlay to get the software and hardware to service the current gen bodies. 3rd party service folks often did not spend the cash (understandable) to get the gear from Nikon and without it were bricking bodies that NikonUSA was forced to fix under warranty and in court order. So they cut out the 3rd party service folks to "fix" the issue and Nikon Japan supported it. Right or Wrong

Wasn't talking about 3rd party vs official authorized service center, rather merchant vs Nikon US.

Same thing as only Nikon US will be doing the service or authorizing return and such. Some venders will re[place from there own stock then re-sell it in some form or deal with Nikon USA. They have a different "relationship" regard return policy though (authorized vendor to Nikon)

Won't the merchant take the broken camera and send it to Nikon US for repair ? Do you have to do it yourself, and be bound by whatever policies they come up with ?

It really depend on the Vendor. For example, Best Buy used to simply act as a middle man between Nikon USA. Some local brick and motors places work a bit different.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
TrueNew
NoNew
AllNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow