Just got my D7100 w/ 16-55mm Lens and have a few questions?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,544Gear list
Like?
Re: Just got my D7100 w/ 16-55mm Lens and have a few questions?
In reply to mosswings, 10 months ago

mosswings wrote:

If you're planning on traveling, look into phone or tablet based backup systems. I'm presently using a system that employs a Kingston Mobilelite Wireless SD card reader / hub and a Seagate Slim 500GB USB 3 HDD. With it, I can use an app on either my phone or tablet (Android or iOS, it doesn't matter) to launch a transfer between the SD card and the HDD, then let it finish autonomously. Afterwards, I can view the images via wifi from the hub. Cost - about $120-130 in addition to the phone/tablet. I think this is now a much more cost effective option for high resolution cameras than scads of SD cards were for the 10-12MP generation. 128GB doesn't store all that many images from a D7100 (or D800), and a 128GB USB key is painfully expensive compared to a compact portable HDD like the Seagate Slim or WD My Passport Ultra.

This is a very interesting and slick solution. Thanks for posting it.

To summarize so I understand it, connect the Seagate Slim and SD card to the Kingston MobileLite, launch the copy from SD > HDD with the App wirelessly from my iOS device, then I can close the App and carry on with whatever on my iOS device because the copy will run and complete autonomously. Right?

Thanks!

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow