Had the Mini M in hands for few minutes !

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
starwolfy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
Had the Mini M in hands for few minutes !
Jun 13, 2013

Hi !

Today I went to Leica Store Seoul to handle a small problem with my 50 Lux ASPH.

After 5 minutes my issue was fixed and I was about to leave when I saw the new Mini M Vario on the counter.

I went to see it and I handled it and played with it for a while while talking with Leica staff about it.

First, despite the disappointment with the spec list I have to say I was quite impressed to see it in real because it is indeed a Mini M.

It just look like a slightly smaller Leica M240 that is not a joke.

Controls are very similar, look as well, same menu, the lens looks much more like a "M lens" design.

This camera is NOT small nor pocketable but it is not big either. I would say it looks like a M 240 which lost around 20-30% fat.

When I handled it I was very surprised by the weight. The camera look solid and heavy but when you hold it is kind of light but definitely not HOLLOW.

The buttons, the dials, the rings, everything scream high quality. It feels tightly assembled and it feels solid and very mature. I was quite impressed and I am sure many people will. We are far ahead a Fuji X100 (which I own) and frankly it cannot be compared about built quality. Not at all.

The screen was really nice looking and the camera had the EVF on it. Indeed...it looks like the new M.

The rings on the lens were feeling great. Smooth and firm in same time. Manual focus was easy and reliable. I took some shots in dim light and the result came quite nicely despite higher isos. Colors were very nice.

The Leica staff is very aware that the lens is very slow and they know it's a bit disappointing for many but the quality is here. It's a real Leica with a Zoom and if you can get over it I will bet many people will fall in love with it (I did at the moment I put my hands on it).

That is not a M on steroid...but just a kind of downgraded version wich retains very high quality, very nice handling, and a convinient zoom despite being on the slow side.

Hope that helps !

Cheers,

Gui

starwolfy's gear list:starwolfy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow