Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,274
Like?
The Amazing D200.
Jun 13, 2013

Back in 2004 I was considering both Nikon and Canon as the DSLR brands I could migrate to (...Olympus could also have been a contender as I love their colors but, by then, I had already developed this personal pet-peeve with the 4:3 format...I just feel it as "uncomfortable" for photography...)

Owning a Coolpix 5700 at the time and impressed by the D100, I was leaning a bit towards Nikon when I won a national magazine contest and was offered a Canon 300D and kit lens.

Faced with the idea of having to convert the 300D into money and that, in turn, into a Nikon camera and fascinated by Canon's image quality in their tele L zooms and primes, I kept the Canon and, can now say, don't have a bit of regret about that early decision.

The Canon DSLR system has served my meager photography in a most apt, cost-effective way (...this perception might very well change though, if they continue this latest trend of price hiking on new lenses offerings... )

Soon after my decision, the D200 came out.

Right from the beginning I found its output an extremely engaging one, both for color and contrast rendition. I found it quite "film-like", as if Nilon had created the camera to render images with an "emulsion feeling" to them but with a superior quality that could hardly be consistently extracted from the medium, back in film days.

I am posting this here, now, because even up to this day, I am systematically stumbling upon output from the D200 that I am immediately drawn into, even before knowing where the photos came from.

It just happened today, again, with these PBase galleries:

http://www.pbase.com/mgpimages/merzouga_morocco

http://www.pbase.com/mgpimages/southern_morocco

Not that I can't do something similar (..or even better, in some areas..) as this with my current 1DMKIV, because I can...And, I am sure, you guys also can do it with your current cameras but, in the case of the D200, it is as if this output is just "natural", as if a 6-year old could get these same perceived intrinsic qualities by just pointing the camera at his/hers favorite toy and pressing the shutter button.

...So, I now consider the D200 one of the best DSLRs ever made.

It has come to a point that, given the price 2nd-hand ones are going for on Ebay (300/400$) I might very well consider buying one, just for the sake of it.

If it was an FX camera instead of a DX one, so I could more effectively use it with another unique Nikon product, the 12-24, I would be pressing "Buy" right now and get myself a perfect, killer, almost ultimate WA dedicated tool.

If you are (or were) a D200 owner I would love for you guys to post some samples as replies to this thread...and congratulations on a very special camera

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Canon EOS 300D (EOS Digital Rebel / EOS Kiss Digital) Canon EOS-1D Nikon D100 Nikon D200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow