Just got my D7100 w/ 16-55mm Lens and have a few questions?

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Credo
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
Re: Just got my D7100 w/ 16-55mm Lens and have a few questions?
In reply to Smiller4128, Jun 13, 2013

I'd always say go for the largest drive you can afford. If you shoot a lot of RAW and don't get rid of any runts even 1Tb will fill up. 33,000 shots is a fifth of the D7100's rated shutter count.

My personal backup setup, which some will consider overkill, is as follows:

1Tb dedicated photo drive in my main large desktop PC / Server. This is synchronised to my 3Tb Synology NAS. The NAS then has a scheduled backup job that copies the Photo backup to a 2Tb Seagate external drive connected directly to the NAS via USB 3. I also copy the photo's to a portable drive and keep this at my Mum's. If we had a fire, I'd grab my wife, daughter, cat and the NAS...

I therefore have my photo's in 3 places at one time, one of which is a RAID 1 array and is therefore redundant.

Probably overkill, but I work in IT and have learned over the years how to look after data.

For file copy /sync software, I 100% recommend 'Create Synchronicity'. Freeware, schedulable and simple. In Windows 7, Synctoy does not work with the windows scheduler, which is a real pain.

-- hide signature --

Martin
D7100 - Nikkor 18-105 VR - Nikkor 50mm F1.8D - Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro - SB800

Credo's gear list:Credo's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow