Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Per Baekgaard
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
Re: d800 and video?
In reply to Amaroq, Jun 13, 2013

Amaroq wrote:

Hello,

I realize this board is nearly entirely focused on still photography but I wonder if anyone has experience using the d800 for as a video tool? Of course it's virtue as a still camera is widely known, but just how easy is it for you to extract high quality video? Am I best off just looking to the 5d mkiii?

Yes, it is capable of doing very high quality videos. I cannot compare to the 5d mkIII as I have not tested video on that camera, but I believe there are plenty of tests and comparisons of both cameras around on the net. You could e.g. look at factors such as compression artifacts (or not, in case of an external HDMI recorder), bit-depth, sharpening settings and artifacts, antialising, dynamic range, colour rendering and noise at various ISO levels. From what I've understood, the D800 is above the 5D mkII in performance and tries to compete with the 5D mkIII -- although the latter has the advantage of being the N-th generation video-capable camera.

I guess many of us here are (still) photographers, but I would guess some of us also shot a little video from time to time (I do). I find the quality of the video to be significantly above many other consumer cameras, and more than sufficient for my needs. But I have not shot any videos for paying clients; I mainly focus on stills for (most) clients.

Per Baekgaard's gear list:Per Baekgaard's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow