Win8 vs Win7

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: stick with Win 7 if possible...
In reply to Sean Nelson, Jun 13, 2013

With all due respect, I think you've been using GUI interfaces for so long that you've forgotten that they have their unintuitive aspects, too. It's all about the environment you get used to. Once you're learned it, what appears as problematic to an unversed user can be very easy to use.

As I said, a power user will adapt to anything. That has zero relevance to whether it is a UI good for a mainstream OS or not. And of course there are unintuitive aspects to every UI - that is why a UI has cues for basic tasks, helping our cognitive ability along.

Your point about command line interfaces is a case in point. My command shell of choice is PowerShell - there are a lot of things that it makes easy to do which would be hell in the GUI. The learning curve is steep, but it is a very usable tool.

That defines "usable" to be uninteresting for measuring whether a UI is a good fit for a mainstream OS. What Powershell is is powerful. It trades ease of use (what most people want) for power (what you want) When I sit down by it I do not find it usable. Nor would anyone who's main purpose with a system is to surf, check email and start applications. For such a user Powershell is not in the least usable.

I would say the same about Adobe Premier Pro. Hell of a learning curve, but once you've put the effort in and understand its paradigm, very powerful and pleasant to use because of what it can do for you.

Which support my point and goes directly against yours; for specialized tasks an advanced interface is a good thing. But it has a learning curve, which is precisely what you do not want for BASIC tasks.

I see the touch interface in much the same light.

That makes you very unique. The vast majority of humans on the planet see a touch interface (i.e. a phone or tablet) as something which should be as easy to use as possible. It doesn't have to be powerful (like a Powershell) or advanced (like Adobe Premiere) because that is not what a touch device is used for.

If you're going to perform batch administration tasks or edit video professionally you're not going to use a touch device, so why would you want it to trade ease of use for power like those tools do?

But as far as whether gestures like swiping from the side and long presses are bad or "intuitive" or not, I recognize that these are de rigeur in an environment optimized for a small screen where you can't afford to have the same number of on-screen cues as on a large desktop monitor.

I never mentioned swipes from the side or long presses. Those are OK for advanced tasks. Hot corners are not OK for anything. And none of this is OK for basic tasks.

Just because an interface is worth learning for power users and professionals and hands them power does not make it a good UI for everyday users. There is a trade off between power and ease of use, and any time that trade off is made in the direction of power there has to be a good justification for it. Metro has none, especially since it is so clumsily designed it adds very little power and loses a lot of ease of use.

Metro will be nothing but a memory in ten years. it is an abject failure. That is not my opinion but usage numbers talking.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/may/10/windows-8-actual-installed-base-58m

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow