The "A" gets an F

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,183Gear list
Like?
Re: The "A" gets an F
In reply to Shotcents, Jun 13, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

I don't think they will be around for long. The amount of pro shooters I know who want the A is zero. The amount of hobby shooters? Also zero. The only place I see folks wanting/owning one is online. My perception is that a fixed lens camera is a cheap camera, one that we can agree is very limited. The A will test a market segment and quietly go away in time, replaced by a system capable compact body only slightly larger than the A.

Thw A maybe not, but the Ricoh will be around - they've been selling lesser versions of this camera for many years. And if you ever stumble over to the Ricoh forum, you'll see a lot more enthusiasm. Their first run sold out and they're selling them as fast as they can make them at the moment, which is admittedly not very fast.  But there's a solid if small market for this type of camera.

A great camera is a flexible one. The A has a LONG way to go. That it happens to meet YOUR specific needs does not make it a successful product. Some buyers loved the Pacer and thought Laserdiscs were great.

SOME great cameras are flexible. Some are one trick ponies but they do that trick VERY well.

Dont get me wrong - I'm into more flexible gear too. I have a small m43 system and had a Fuji system until recently (still have one body and one lens - I might super glue it on ) But I also love really well executed fixed lens cameras too. The RX1 and now the A will get 90% or more of my shooting on an upcoming trip to Italy.

And while I'm asking questions, where do you find 150 dollar hotshoe mount viewfinders for the A or P7700? All I can find is 40 year old crap on Ebay. I'd love a OVF for the P7700.

This one ought to work - 28mm, 3:2 reframe lines.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-External-Finder-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0013DCP06

Ray, don't get me wrong. I'm happy that your happy. But I created the thread to give my opinion and give pause to some less experienced shooters who might want to carefully consider the Coolpix A weaknesses as well as its strengths.

I don't think you're gonna find too many inexperienced shooters even considering such a camera, but I suppose a few might stumble onto it and be interested. It's a limited and highly specific audience - the very definition of a niche market. It's my niche.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow