Bought a Ricoh GR and I'm a bit nervous...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bryan Campbell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,011
Like?
Bought a Ricoh GR and I'm a bit nervous...
10 months ago

I have read and seen enough reviews to justify ordering a new Ricoh GR. I usually shoot 40mm or 50mm because they seem pretty natural to me.

I'm a bit nervous for 2 reasons. I'm used to that Leica "shine" and sharpness I can get from the M8 + 35 Summarit (or 50 Summilux ASPH). The other reason is simply that I haven't used a 28mm focal length in almost 4 years. I briefly used the 28mm f/2 lens on my 5D2 DSLR and had trouble seeing with it, but I wasn't quite as skilled of a photographer as I am today either (yes, I still have a very long ways to go). One of my top 25 photos was taken with the 28mm focal length, but nothing else I would be proud of.

I'm primarily interested in shooting general street photography with it as well as architecture. Architecture more in an abstract form. I really enjoy Ming Thein's style of shooting architecture and he also seems to share my love of reflections.

I'm planning on a trip to Chicago maybe this Sunday or maybe the following weekend with only the Ricoh GR

Hopefully snap focus will have acceptable sharpness with at f/8 - f/11 with zone focusing, so I can simply worry about composition.

If you guys have any insights to alleviate my fears I would appreciate it.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow