PROFESSIONAL'S NEED A LICENSE

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,147
Like?
Re: Pros versus amateurs comparisons
In reply to Adrian Van, Jun 12, 2013

Adrian Van wrote:

It is sad that some brides or grooms are only looking at cheap photography packages these days, as they may assume they do not need an experienced photographer to take (journalistic or fun photos they want mainly they may say), because they may think cameras are simply excellent these days. (Fortunately there are still enough clients who do appreciate and buy quality from pros, keeping me in business over 9 years in weddings.)

I sometimes run into parents who want me to print their hired (low priced) photographers photos who only gave them a Photo disk (and they did not really like the images that much of their photographer, but love the way I print my own from a D700, while their photographer used a D90 with primes mostly and small flash for indoors).

While some of the outdoor photos showed creativity (and okay lighting) which interested the bride I imagine on first seeing their photographers samples, the technical lighting problems in the indoor dimly lit hall photos were huge on these disks I examined, and the results were mixed. Some good images indoors on close range, problems on many distant range indoor photos.

Needless to say, I prefer not editing other amateur "self claimed hired pros" photographers work, only my own these days, or from someone I know is a pro that I hire myself, as fixing amateur photos can be difficult and time consuming, while my photos are mostly not hard to adjust at all, by comparison in any lighting condition, as I understand lighting.

Printing your own photos a lot is a great way to learn how to shoot better, as the more accurate you shoot in exposures to get the effect you want, the less time spent in post processing.

Was the bride satisfied with the images over all?

Plus not all armature turned pros working for cheap produce bad work and even what would be consider an average shot by many pros and DPR members is still better than anything the bride or her family could have gotten themselves in most cases.  There is room in the market for all price levels. Some people really can't afford and would never dream of spending over $1000 for a photographer. As long as those people exist there will always be a photographer willing the serve that market.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow