Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
buckeyevet
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
Is f/2.8 that important?
10 months ago

On my continuing journey of deciding what lenses to buy to compliment my 60D (with TONS of help with this forum, BTW).  I increasingly come back to the question of

"How important is it to have an f/2.8 lens as opposed to f/3.5 or f/4?"

I'm probably over-thinking this whole thing!  But, for indoor family candids, outdoor landscapes, and kid's sports photos, will going to an f/3.5 or f/4 make a large amount of difference?  I had one professional photographer that I know tell me that I should never shoot at f/2.8 because I won't get any depth of field and subject will be all flat, so why spend all of the extra money to buy an f/2.8 lens.  But, in going through all of my photos with my Tamron lens and the 60D in P mode where I just adjusted the white balance, the camera auto-selected f/2.8 on all of my indoor photos, and a lot on cloudy days outdoors. (I have since bought 'Understanding Exposure' and am learning to use my own settings).

Background on why I'm asking?

I currently have a Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP Aspherical (IF), and I have grown tired of it's constant focus search, and decreased sharpness when shooting indoors and close up (it's an excellent landscape lens).

I'm in love with the Canon 24-70 L f/2.8 lens after renting it for 10 days, but thinking about the price tag makes me hyperventilate (I'm a bit clutzy, and the front ring on my Tamron is loose from that clutziness).

So, to try and preserve my nerves, I'm seriously considering other suggestiong from another forum thread: the EF-S 15-85 f/3.5 and the 24-105 f/4 or 24-70 f/4.

-- hide signature --

Jennifer

buckeyevet's gear list:buckeyevet's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow