What are you using for macro photography?

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jose Rocha
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
Re: What are you using for macro photography?
In reply to Nate8833, Jun 12, 2013

Basically, any macro lens will be a superb one. You just need to select your favorite focal length, to allow you to work comfortably. They usually go from 50mm to 200mm, and they get progressively more expensive. The most popular ones are somewhere in the middle, like the 105mm.

I had a 105 VR and that lens is the sharpest I ever owned. The VR and Nano coating give it tremendous value for other things besides macro. I used it frequently on the streets shooting people and stuff. AF is very quick for a macro lens, and the lens is very well built.

I had to sell it to fund my 24-70, and more than 1 year later I got a used Tamron 90mm. This is also a very sharp lens, seems to be as good as the 105 VR, but has some CAs wide open. The AF is much slower and the build quality is several steps worse, which includes the extensible front element while focusing. It's a much cheaper option, though, and that's why is so popular. I tend to focus manually anyway, so that doesn't matter much.

-- hide signature --
 Jose Rocha's gear list:Jose Rocha's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow