Win8 vs Win7

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: stick with Win 7 if possible...
In reply to VirtualMirage, Jun 12, 2013

My world is not narrow at all. Consider that majority of Windows users are home users and work environments (engineering and specialized tasking excluded). Most home users don't use Windows the way you do for your work. Most workers don't either. They are using it to check mail, run Office, access the web, run their applications, etc.

Which is exactly how I use it. To check mail, run Office, access the web and run my applications.

It is your world that is very narrow in considering how your tools and solutions are so antiquated in design and layout that it forces you to have very limited options in how to interact with them.

There is nothing "antiquated" about their design or layout. They're just not polished, since that is a waste of resources.

There are far more people out there that use Windows the way I do than the way you do. So how does that make my world narrow?

I use Windows the way you do *and* the way I do. That makes your world narrow.

Oh how wrong you are. Our environment is mixed with Windows, Solaris, and Linux.

Kind of like mine then, except I don't have Solaris, but instead have a lot of other systems ranging from old DOS cans to embedded systems, various PLC's, robots, welders and what have you. And an IT backbone which I ended up responsible for. Ah well.

Majority of the machines are split between Windows and Solaris, which they both serve each other with specific tasks. Windows is very strong in the data center world, it just depends on what kind of data center you are referring to (there are many types).

You're speaking as if this would be news to me.

As for my skill being counter productive to desktop use, wrong again. My skills reach far past just servers and data centers and extends to the desktop as well, both for software and hardware. As for engineering, my experience is more limited to the software engineers. Hardware engineers is a different field with which my experience is limited in.

And mine is in both. I am a computer scientist and an automation engineer.

I guess I can counterpoint by saying that your deep and narrow knowledge of your engineering career field makes you extremely counter productive when it comes to talking desktop use and for using Windows for server and data center tasks.

I used to work in IT, both as an administrator and in development in several fields. If we're comparing epeens I have no doubt I'll make an impressive enough showing.

That said, I also have no doubt you would as well.

Yes, that is pretty much true. The OS, at its core, is a host that allows you to access the tools/applications you need.

Not only at it's core. That is what an OS is.

At least that is what a OS used to be. OS's now are becoming more and more dynamic in their capabilities, offering more out of the box.

That is called "bundled applications". That those are considered part of the OS is very strange to anyone with a grounding in computer science or software engineering.

But then, most people don't even think of the OS as something separate from the hardware. They just buy "a computer", and just like a toaster it's a unit to plug in and use. So any nitpicking is pretty much wasted.

Some people may take advantage of this, others just want it to launch their tools/applications.

In my case it's not a matter of "want".

Again, maybe for your use. But that doesn't reflect, nor does it represent, how it works for others.

Evidently it does. Windows 8 is the worst failure Microsoft has had since Bob. And for good reason.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow