Win8 vs Win7

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: stick with Win 7 if possible...
In reply to VirtualMirage, 10 months ago

Nope, that was on a Windows 7 PC with a crappy internet connection. My Windows 8 PC wouldn't have had this problem.

But you are using Windows, correct? It works the same in Windows 7 too.

Only at work. And for a few games. And I don't need the windows key anyway. In fact, when gaming I don't want it at all - that is the main reason my keyboard at home has no such key. Try hitting it during the dodge phase on Soa in SW:TOR and see how handy it is.

Looks like a Home symbol on that button to me, so it is a Home button. Unless, of course, you call your home "close."

Mine looks like a close button. But regardless, it's what it does that matters; it gets me out of the current app.

My comments indicate I know more about Windows than you and have more experience with both 7 and 8 than you do.

Your opinion is noted.

But your comments betray that you're seldom stuck looking for specific applications to do tasks you seldom do, or navigate byzantine software solutions designed by firms focused on their product and seeing the tools to connect to them as something the user of them can spend their career learning the ins and outs of. Yours is a world in which the OS has a value of its own, and that is a very narrow world.

We are not talking about Macs or Unix, the topic is Windows.

And the majority of people using Windows do not use it in data centers or in a server environment. In fact, your skill is possibly even counterproductive when it comes to talking desktop use and using Windows for engineering tasks.

So if my comments focus on only Windows, that does not mean my knowledge narrow. We are not talking about LAN specifications, cable splicing, network switches, Power Shell, C++, VBS, nor any specific application. Just because those are not mentioned does imply a narrow field of knowledge. The subject is specific, so I discuss only what applies to the subject.

Since the majority of people who use Windows use it as a tool to reach their applications, and pretty much nothing more, your strong focus on OS functionality is actually besides the subject. It definitely is besides my use of OS'es. They are tools allowing me to get work done, and the only purpose they have in themselves is hosting my applications.

And it is from this perspective I judge Windows 8 to be an abject failure.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow