Win8 vs Win7

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,233Gear list
Like?
Re: stick with Win 7 if possible...
In reply to theswede, Jun 12, 2013

theswede wrote:

That's what you get for using Windows 8.

Nope, that was on a Windows 7 PC with a crappy internet connection.  My Windows 8 PC wouldn't have had this problem.

Ctrl+Esc. That is your Windows Key. Give it a try!

Irrelevant. I don't have a Metro OS.

But you are using Windows, correct?  It works the same in Windows 7 too.

I have it right on all of mine. It closes the application and takes me to the home screen. It does not exit the application, but it sure closes it. I can't see it anywhere, so it's closed.

That "closed" means different things in different paradigms is a different matter.

Looks like a Home symbol on that button to me, so it is a Home button.  Unless, of course, you call your home "close."

As for your sarcastic response and implication of my lack of knowledge with Windows, I know more about the OS than you may think (and may even know more than you).

That's not what your comments indicate. I only comment on what you say, not on your resume.

My comments indicate I know more about Windows than you and have more experience with both 7 and 8 than you do.

If I didn't then I wouldn't be working in a data center with several hundred servers with years of experience and several certifications under my belt, including my MCSA and MCSE.

Which means you have very deep and very narrow knowledge. Which is also what your comments indicate.

We are not talking about Macs or Unix, the topic is Windows.  So if my comments focus on only Windows, that does not mean my knowledge narrow.  We are not talking about LAN specifications, cable splicing, network switches, Power Shell, C++, VBS, nor any specific application.  Just because those are not mentioned does imply a narrow field of knowledge.  The subject is specific, so I discuss only what applies to the subject.

Correct; when you're in the equivalent of the start screen you can start typing. Exact same functionality. You just went and looked that up, didn't you?

Looked up what?  Your comment?  The confirmation of how search works in 7? Neither, I know how it works in 7 without having to refer to it.  Your comment? Your follow up was all that was needed for me to realize I misinterpreted what you meant.

In Windows 8, you can start typing anywhere in the Start Screen (the place you first start in upon login without pressing a key) and it will begin searching.

The problem with Windows 8 is precisely that this is where I start upon login. That is a bug, not a feature.

I minor annoyance, yes.  But nothing a quick single click on the Desktop tile doesn't resolve.  I think 8.1 resolves this and gives back the option to boot directly to the desktop.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow