Win8 vs Win7

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,350Gear list
Like?
Re: stick with Win 7 if possible...
In reply to theswede, Jun 12, 2013

theswede wrote:

Which is why they have an OS that will kill applications in a controlled manner as it becomes necessary. You don't need to worry about it.

I restarted my iPhone the other week because I had been out flying. Before that it had been on for over six months. Not a single application manually killed in that time - because that can't be done. And zero issues.

That's how all OS'es should be, and that impresses me a lot more than faster startup and shutdown. Why should I have to startup and shutdown in the first place?

Jesper

Double tap the home button, a list of icons appears at the bottom.  These are your most recently used apps that are most likely residing in memory or in the background.  To kill them, press and hold the icon until it starts to shake and a minus sign appears in the corner.  Press the minus sign.  You have now learned how to kill an app on an iOS.

I have to do this from time to time with apps that hang.

Windows 8 does the same thing with its Metro apps.  You don't have to close them, they will close on their own if the OS needs the resources.  If you want to close them manually, you go to the top left corner of the screen and close your apps that pop up on the left menu.

To exit a Metro app in Windows 8, press the Windows key (Ctrl+Esc in your case).

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow