PROFESSIONAL'S NEED A LICENSE

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,199Gear list
Like?
Re: PROFESSIONAL'S NEED A LICENSE
In reply to peevee1, Jun 12, 2013

"At that time engineers could afford a big house, a non working wife, whole bunch of kids and permanent domestic help."

I am not so sure about that for the average low level engineer, but now that I think about it a bit more, I remember that a general lack of respect was also a motivation for organizing professional societies.  I do not specifically remember what data our professor may have presented for basic low level engineering salaries at 1900 and what the buying power was.

But it took some tragic engineering failures (for instance, the Texas boiler explosion when hundreds of people died, see the link below) to make people think that requiring engineers be trained was a good idea.   I have a hard time seeing how there could be a similar photography tragedy.

Here is the link. I wish the engineering salary per decade were readable.

http://machinedesign.com/technologies/changes-engineering-profession-over-80-years

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow