Forum ProPosts: 13,113
Like?
Re: stick with Win 7 if possible...
In reply to Archer66, Jun 12, 2013

Archer66 wrote:

theswede wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

For desktop user Win 8 is the same as Win 7 with some improvements:

It's not even remotely the same. There is no hierarchical organization of programs accessed from the start system. There is no obvious way to get rid of a Metro app which takes over the screen. There isn't even any point to Metro on a desktop system.

The differences are very In Your Face and crippling for engineering and science users. I normally have at least dozens of programs to access industrial systems and subsystems installed, with confusing names. In the start menu they're grouped by manufacturer name and then by task to use them for - dead easy to find what I need.

This was about desktop and not about Modern UI. Just pin your most used programs to taskbar or create a shortcut on your desktop just like in Win 7.

I bet most power users do not even use Win 7 start menu, there is no need for it.

I believe I more than qualify as a 'power user' and I use the start menu constantly. I am a systems analyst and have literally dozens of programs that I need to access in supporting my numerous systems, some more often than others but many every single day. I do not want to try and pick them out of a row of tiny icons in the taskbar.That is fine for opening Outlook and IE and Firefox and a couple others, but I use the start menu all day - it leads me to my programs and to various functions on my PC, which I know I can find easily that way.

Why should I accept a less convenient, more difficult way of doing my job so the easily amused can enjoy a gimmicky desktop that's like a tablet? Why should I accept workarounds that leave me behind where I was before things were 'improved'?

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice. (sarcasm)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow